Monday, August 10, 2009

Agnostic Mountain Gospel Choir

First of all, let's get a couple of things straight. They aren't a choir. They aren't from the mountains. In fact, they are from Calgary (which is close to the mountains, but not quite). They are the Agnostic Mountain Choir and they perform music with an old-time Blues style -- with their own new-time twist.

Agnostic Mountain Gospel Choir was another Edmonton Folk Music Festival discovery for me. I had heard rumblings about the band (all good) and had a chance to check them out during a jam session workshop with Daby Touré and Hot Tuna. Thumping acoustic bass, twanging guitars, and vocals with all the grit and soul of an old Bluesman - I was so impressed, I checked out the band's latest album Ten Thousand on iTunes when I got back from the festival.

If you like traditional Blues music but are open to something different, you need to check out the Agnostic Mountain Gospel Choir. ~Paula E. Kirman

No comments: